This photo of Fort Vancouver Stockage used on our Home page was taken by during the 2010 annual Brigade Encampment special event at Fort Vancouver National Historic Site. This event recreates the celebration which occurred at the end of the fur season, when brigades of trappers returned to the Fort, sharing their stories and adventures. The event is held at the Site every year in the month of June.
Photo courtesy of the National Park Service.
General Sully's Funeral
The photo used on our "About" page was taken after the funeral of General Alfred Sully, who died in 1879. It was taken in front of his family's residence (which is now the Grant House, you can see part of the house on the left side of the photograph). General Sully married an Indian woman late in life who was not particularly well accepted by the Officers' 'Ladies' on the Row. General and Mrs. Sully had a young daughter about five years old when Sully died at the age of 68. Sully's wife is sitting at the far left with a little child standing next to her. General Sully the son of world-renowned portrait painter Thomas Sully (who painted Queen Victoria's favorite portrait) and was a fine painter in his own right. This photo predates most of Officer's Row as it exists today, as the original cabins were still standing in 1879.
The images of the pottery shards used to illustrate the Individual membership categories are from the Fort Vancouver Collection.
Archaeological resources like this shape our legacy from the original inhabitants of the fort, its village, and the U.S. military post of Vancouver Barracks. Excavations have occurred on the Site over the last 50 years, yielding a world-class archaeological collection of 1.5 million artifacts, 200,000 of which are arranged in a study collection.
The array of artifacts provides tangible evidence of daily life at the site. While the majority reflect the 35-year Hudson’s Bay Company era from 1825-1860, many artifacts remain from earlier Native American use and the later U.S. Army presence.
The family image shows Major General Thomas M. Anderson and his extended family posing outside their home for a portrait. Anderson was commander of the Vancouver Barracks from 1885 to 1898. People in the photograph include Charles Van Winkle, Mrs. Elizabeth Anderson and the Anderson children - Bessie, Irmengarde, Von, Thomas Jr., Minnie and Arline.
The still life of milk bottles, a pitcher and dishes used to illustrate the Sponsor Membership category shows some reproductions on display in the Village House during the 2010 Brigade Encampment at the Village House. Photograph courtesy of NPS.
The coin is from the Fort Vancouver Collection. Photograph courtesy of NPS.
The Village House is a replica of "House 2" in the Village. Photograph by Greg Shine and used courtesy of NPS.
The plan view of the Excavations of Village House 5 of the Hudson's Bay Company Employee Village used to illustrate the Archeologist Membership category was taken during the 2003 Public Archaeology Field School. One of the main features of the House, the hearth, is clearly visible. Photograph courtesy of NPS.
The Hawaiian coral was found in an archaeological excavation at the Fort. Coral was utilized by the Hudson's Bay Company in various construction projects onsite. Read more about the connection between Hawaii (the Sandwich Islands) and Fort Vancouver. The photograph was taken by John Edwards and used courtesy of NPS.
The arrowheads are part of The Fort Vancouver Collection. Photograph courtesy of NPS. NPS has posted more information about some of the Fort Vancouver Collections.
The Nez Perce Trail included the Vancouver Barracks. This photograph shows tribe member Red Heart with two children on a horse. Red Heart and his band were captured and held at Fort Vancouver in 1877. Read about their captivity and release and about the Nez Perce Trail.
The photo of the rabbit in the Fort Vancouver Garden was taken by Madya Panfilio, copyright 2017, used with permission.
The first dance photo show US Marines and guests at a Cecil Club Dance, 1943 in Wellington, New Zealand. Cecil Club dances were popular favorites with Marines and sailors visiting Wellington, usually are held to the jive and swing rhythms of a Marine Corps Dance Band. The Cecil Club was the American Red Cross Recreation Center in Wellington. Photograph is from the Julian C. Smith Collection (COLL/202) of Marine Corps Archives & Special Collections in the National Archives.
The second dance photo is from a USO Dance in Seattle, Washington, circa 1943. It is Item 31069 of the Ben Evans Recreation Program Collection (Record Series 5801-02), in the Seattle Municipal Archives.