The McLoughlin House, residence of John McLoughlin, is part of the Fort Vancouver National Historic Site and is located in Oregon City, Oregon. McLoughlin was Chief Factor at Fort Vancouver from 1825-1845, and moved to the house in Oregon City in 1846. Find out more about the history of the McLoughlin House here.
The top photograph, taken October 2, 2010, shows the west elevation of the McLoughlin House. In 2008, in preparation for painting the house, the original colors were determined by destructive testing. Squares of paint were removed from the exterior of the house at multiple locations, from the most recent color all the way down to the wood. These paint squares were then analyzed to find the oldest paint color. The entire house was creamy white, just as it appears today.
The lower photograph shows a display case in the upper hallway of the house featuring original textiles and a Scottish costume from the McLoughlin House Collection of Fort Vancouver National Historic Site.
Photographs are used courtesy of NPS.